4 Mar 2007

Bad example of how we use consumer feedback

Some time ago I visited a restaurant in Chelyabinsk - one of the fastest growing cities in Russia - very good restaurant - part of a French chain.

They were collecting the customer's feedback through a little questionnaire left on the table. I picked it up and filled during my stay. I rated food quality, interior and some other points as excellent, waitress as bad and commented the size of portion - it became 2 times smaller since last time I was there.

When we finished I found the administrator and handled her the filled paper. Then I went to the toilet. On the way back she stops me with the waitress and asks "What exactly didn't you like of your waitress?" The waitress stands by us. I'm speechless.. The waitress, with eyes full of anger, continues - "The portion is exactly like it was before. You probably received it in a different plate." I'm really frustrated. I'm surrounded by my business partners, they look even more frustrated as they paid for the dinner. I said to the administrator - "Lady, you put me in the very uncomfortable, an awkward situation by asking me this questions right here in front of your staff. And it's not good. I left my contacts in the questionnaire in case you wanted to speak with me details. Directly. Good bye." I don't think I ever come back.

It was an indicative experience of how you should not treat your customers. The feedback thing is a complete waist if your staff does not understand the importance of privacy here.

1 comment:

i don't know said...

The lesson is probably that the box should be sealed and send to the headquarters directly. It is important to listen to the feedback, especially about the customer service.

I totally share your opinion. By the way, I doubt that after that your comment has been sent to the person managing customer care.